Looking for a way to experience a modicum of Malawi? Try this simple breakfast dish! It’s one of my favorite recipes and is both tasty and healthy!
4 sweet potatoes
½ cup groundnut flour
Optional: sweet potato leaves, spinach or other greeens
- Peel four sweet potatoes. (Yellow ones are the best but I can’t remember ever seeing them in the US. Maybe acorn squash would also do?)
- Put the sweet potatoes in a pot and add just enough water to cover the potatoes. Cut a plastic shopping bag in half and place half of it over the water and potatoes. (This is the Malawian way of cooking potatoes which seems to work pretty well, but if you prefer, just use a lid).
- Cook sweet potatoes until they are tender.
- Drain most of the water, leaving about an inch behind.
- Pour in half a cup of groundnut flour, and let it simmer for a few minutes. (If adding greens, do so at this time.)
- Add a bit of salt and enjoy!